Friday, August 26, 2011

Beth, This One's For You!

So I participated in my first Writing Workshop experience in an elementary classroom! Until now, everything I've seen in a classroom has either been nothing like the writing workshop model. After reiterating to my teacher how much I really value writing workshop, she agreed and started planning it that way. After using the 4-square model and other prewriting tools for several days, my teacher let my students just write. They were so eager to actually take their prewriting and make it a solid piece of writing. There are several teachers during writing: my mentor teacher, myself, the EIP teacher, and three days a week the gifted teacher. So we were able to go around and have mini conferences with each student. I was so excited to read what they were writing. Oh, I think I was able to give some good suggestions, something I'm not always confident about. What's great is that we all collaborated and planned the mini/focus lessons for next week, rotating the lead teacher every day. We also got everyone on the same page and agreed that the students should have the majority of the time to write, and to write about what they WANT to write. I really pushed for no prompts, at least not yet. What's really cool is that we are each going to have student-teacher conference notebooks. Each of us will work with a few students all the way from prewriting to publishing, and we are going to use our notebooks to track our conferences and set goals with the students. Having so many teachers means that we can really hit every student and conference with them multiple times a week. I'm really excited about all of this, which probably sounds ridiculous and lame to non-teachers, but I don't care. I can't wait to start!

1 comment:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS! SOOOOOO excited! I am especially impressed that you took a stand for your beliefs in kids as writers and encouraged the whole team to approach writing that way. It may be an adjustment, but I think you will be pleased if you stay the course.

    You have lots of cool blogs that are in your list - here is another new one that focuses on charts and structures in the writing workshop.

    http://chartchums.wordpress.com/

    (note the post about post-its. They had me at post-its). :)

    I am excited to read how this goes as time goes on. And thanks for letting me be nosy and comment as I am a lonely teacher this year with no students! Good to have a virtual window in to the progress many of you are making...

    keep going! (relax this weekend!)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete