Monday, August 8, 2011

The First Day of School!

So I've decided to follow in the footsteps of some of my peers and turn my Writing Workshop blog from last semester into a place where I can tell my tales of student teaching.

I was able to go to the first day of preplanning for this year, which was great. I was able to meet my mentor teacher, many of her collegues, and get an overall sense of the school. But today was the real treat. I was there for my students' first day of school as fifth graders. I was so nervous and excited. It ended up being a truly great day.

My mentor teacher incorporates morning meeting and Morning Messages into her classroom every day. I LOVE this! The Morning Messages require the students to actively participate in something, like drawing a flower in the "class garden,"or drawing their face on the morning message poster paper. I'm looking forward to seeing the classroom grow as a community through these daily activities.

My mentor teacher is fabulous. From the minute I stepped into the room, I felt like an important member of the classroom through little things throughout the day:
- "Ms. Turner" was written on the board right next to hers.
- She said "our kids,""our classroom" and "Ms. Turner and I..."
- She gave me responsibilities and tasks to do
- She included me in every aspect of the day and even let me write the morning message for tomorrow.

I wish I could spend the whole first week with my new class of bright-eyed fifth graders, but my 3 year-old's back in Marietta still need me for 4 more days. 3-year-old's and 11-year-old's have a lot of differences, but they'r all children... and I love teaching children!

So that's all for now. My next post will be next week when I return to my 5th graders and my awesome mentor teacher!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I'm so happy you're writing...it sounds like you are in a situation where you are valued as an equal. This is great for both you and the kids. I am thrilled to read this as it unfolds!

    Have a good week with all your little ones. :)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Ali! Its so nice to read about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete